Practice Areas / Wrongful ConvictionsWrongful Conviction Attorneys

Wrongful Conviction Lawyers for Cases Across the United States

We fight for victims of a failed system. When you’re a victim of a wrongful conviction, years can be taken from you. We fight for restitution to help you put the pieces of your life back together.

A nationwide focus. We consider wrongful conviction cases all over the country. Our attorneys are admitted to practice in Ohio, Kentucky, and New York, but we team up with local co-counsel to bring cases anywhere.

Request a Free Consultation

Best Lawyers
Top 40 under 40 logo
Preeminent logo
Top Rated Personal Injury

Tell us what happened. We’ll take it from there.

People who have been wrongly convicted have lived a nightmare. They have been victimized and deserve assistance returning to their communities and compensation to help create the life they should have had. Unfortunately, they may be victimized again because the cards are stacked in favor of police and prosecutors who wrongly convicted them. We take time to develop strong relationships with our clients so that we fully know how the wrongful conviction affected them, and so we can obtain results that are meaningful to you.


Share your story and how the wrongful conviction has affected your life at your initial consultation.


We work to understand the evidence leading to exoneration and the reasons for the wrongful conviction, like new DNA or forensic evidence, witness recantation, or misconduct by investigators or other government actors.


Forensic scientists, DNA experts, private investigators, and other experts can help explain what happened and why.


You can rely on our expertise at every step, from filing court documents to trying your case in front of a jury.


We negotiate medical bills and other expenses and share resources to help you rebuild your life.


Some settlements include apologies, new policies, or something that's important to you.


Wrongful conviction case results that speak for themselves.

- $1,900,000 Settlement

for a wrongful conviction

- $350,000 Settlement

maximum statutory damages plus additional recovery for exonoree who served 4 years falsely accused and convicted of assault.

- $100,000 Settlement

maximum insurance limits settlement for exoneree whose deficient legal defense led to wrongful conviction before reversal after 2 years.

- $50,000 Settlement

for exoneree whose robbery conviction was overturned on direct appeal.

*The outcome of any client’s case will depend on the particular legal and factual circumstances of the case.


Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that you may have questions about whether you have a case or the timing involved with filing a wrongful conviction lawsuit. Here are answers to what many of our clients want to know.

How many people have been wrongly convicted in the U.S.?

No one really knows for certain. A study conducted by the National Registry of Exonerations covering the period 1989-2012 found more than 2000 exonerations – instances in which a person was convicted of a crime but later relieved of all legal consequences of that conviction through a decision by a prosecutor, a court or a governor after new evidence of innocence was discovered – but that is just a fraction of wrongful convictions.

If my conviction has been vacated and I’ve been released from prison, am I guaranteed compensation from the government?

Unfortunately, no. Fourteen states still do not provide compensation for people who have been wrongfully convicted. In most of the states that do provide compensation, the wrongfully convicted person still must file proceedings in court after their release to obtain a judgment of wrongful conviction. Many times the state’s attorneys will oppose this effort, victimizing the wrongly convicted person yet again by requiring him or her to hire a lawyer.

How long does it take to receive compensation?

Each of the states that provides compensation has a different statute and often a different philosophical approach to compensation. Some states work relatively quickly and cooperatively to provide compensation. Others drag the process out, fighting the wrongly convicted person’s efforts, and sometimes this battle can take several years.

How do I pay for a lawyer?

We recognize that an individual who has just been released from prison often has few, if any, financial resources to hire a lawyer to obtain compensation. As a result, in most instances the individual can afford an attorney only if the attorney agrees to provide representation on a contingency fee basis. This means the client pays nothing unless there is a recovery in their case.

Can I sue someone for my wrongful conviction in addition to seeking money under a state compensation statute?

Sometimes, depending on the circumstances. In some situations, misconduct by a police officer or forensic investigator causes a wrongful conviction. This could include fabricating or falsifying evidence, witness coercion, or hiding evidence that would have helped show the person's innocence. These acts may violate the person’s constitutional rights. In those instances, a lawsuit can be filed under federal law – in addition to or instead of a claim being filed under a state compensation statute – to recover damages.

What can I recover?

This depends. Many state compensation statutes set specific amounts of compensation, most often based on the amount of time the person spent in prison. These amounts and whether there is a maximum cap on them can vary widely from state to state. Some states also provide free or subsidized college tuition and re-entry services. Damages for civil rights claims, on the other hand, are not set or limited by statute. Settlements and verdicts tend to vary with the nature of the civil rights violation, the amount of time in prison and the effects the wrongful conviction and imprisonment have on the person's life. We consider every angle and legal theory to maximize our clients' recovery in their particular case.

Talk to a Wrongful Conviction Lawyer

If you've been wrongfully convicted, contact us.

Let us fight for you.

Are you a victim of a wrongful conviction? Schedule a free consultation to find the best way to seek restitution and to stop it from happening to someone else.

Take the first step toward justice by contacting our offices. Here’s how the process usually works:

  • Initial Conversation
  • Case Evaluation
  • Filing of Lawsuit
  • Exchange of Information
  • Mediation
  • Trial
Prefer to call?

You can reach us at 614.481.6000.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.