Consumer and Class Action
Banding together hundreds or thousands of people into one lawsuit forces the defendant to take notice—even if they’re a large company who could easily overwhelm a single plaintiff. Since 1995, we’ve been helping people find justice and bring about systemic change through the courts.
Featured Story: James Upperman, et al. v. Grange Indemnity Insurance Co.
$2,200,000 class action settlement for policyholders.
Cooper & Elliott’s class action lawyers and co-counsel David A. Goldstein & Associates achieved success on behalf of more than 37,000 individuals who purchased insurance policies from two Grange Insurance Company subsidiaries. The court-approved class action settlement resulted in a significant recovery for policyholders who paid premiums based on rates that were not properly submitted to the Ohio Department of Insurance for approval.
Selected Consumer/Class Action Verdicts and Settlements:
- $3,165,000 settlement for 10,500 Ohioans whose credit information was misused
- $1,200,000 settlement for investors defrauded in viatical investment scheme
- $800,000 class action settlement for truck drivers
- $300,000 jury verdict for defectively-constructed basement
- Confidential settlement for family of man killed in fire caused by defective home appliance
- Confidential settlement for family of children killed by defective consumer product
The outcome of any client’s case will depend on the particular legal and factual circumstances of the case.